This is a fantastic recipe for quick, delicious, fresh bread in a hurry. It’s a favourite on retreats, toasted and spread with vegan margarine, avocado or nut butter. It is adapted from a Paul Hollywood recipe.
250g/9oz plain wholemeal flour
250g/9oz plain white flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
420ml/15fl oz plant milk
Juice of one lime or lemon
extra flour for dusting
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- In a large bowl, mix together the two types of flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add the milk and lime juice and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface and tip the dough onto it.
- Gently roll and fold the dough a couple of times to bring the mixture together. Do not knead.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Flatten the ball gently with your hand. Score the dough with a deep cross dividing it into quarters. Dust the bread with flour.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 30 minutes at 200C/400F/Gas 6. The loaf should be golden-brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy on the same day.